最新美语流行手册

be in a jam 陷入困境
a country mile
一段很长的距离
A: Is the house close to the central city? 那房子靠着市中心吗?
B: It is a country mile from the Central Park. But it won’t be a problem
since you drive.
离中央公园远着呢。可既然你开车这就不成问题了。
A: The distance is not really a problem. The real problem is whether I can
afford it.
远近到不是问题,问题是我是不是买得起。
B: Don’t worry about it. It’s
a real bargain. 不用担心,很便宜的。

a drug on the market
滞销商品,滞销货,供应过剩的商品
a fair shake
公平的待遇

a fat chance
微小的机会
fat本是“很多”的意思,但在这里用了反意,表示“微小的机会”;表示同样意义
的短语还有a fat lot,指“很少”。
A: What do you think of his plan?
你觉得他的方案如何?
B: I have a feeling that is it
doomed to fail. 我感觉它注定要失败。
A: Why don’t you vote against him?
干吗不投票否决他的提议?
B: It’s a fat chance of voting out his suggestion.
这不大可能。

a going concern
赢利企业
a leap in the dark
冒险举动
a mare’s net
海市蜃楼的东西;镜花水月
a month of Sundays
很久,很长时间

a red carpet welcome
隆重的欢迎
A: How can they be so cold to me? 他们怎么能对我这么冷淡!
B: Then what are you expecting? A red carpet welcome?
那你还想怎么着?让
他们列队欢迎你?
A: Not exactly, but at least they should be friendly to me.
倒也不是,至
少他们得对我友好一点儿吧。
B:
Don’t take it too much to heart. You will find them very helpful when
you need them.
别太放在心上。你会发现用得着他们的时候他们还是挺帮忙的。

a rule of thumb
单靠经验或实践的方法;粗略而简便的方法
A: Do you think it’s a good idea to buy some traveler’s checks? 你认为买旅行支票是个好办法吗?
B: Definitely! Don’t carry large amounts of cash with you when you’re
traveling. We have a rule of thumb:
never carry around any more cash than
you can afford to have stolen. To be on the safe side, you’d better ask for
smaller denominations
: $20 or $50. 没错。旅行时不要随身带大额现金。我们有个经验之法:随身携带的钱要适量,丢了不要紧。为了稳妥起见,你最好要小面额的:20或者60元。
A: I was told that if you use traveler’s checks, you don’t
countersign the
check
until the clerk in the store is watching you. 我听说在使用旅行支票时,要当着商店售货员的面签字。
B: Yes, you’ve got it.
你说得对。

across the board
全面地

add up to
合计达;总括起来意味着
A: I just wonder 我只是奇怪
B: What do you think it all adds up to?
你想这一切意味着什么?
A: It adds up to the fact that we have been cheated.
意味着我们被骗了。

add up
把…加起来;言之有理,说得通
The facts just don’t add up.(这些事情合计起来不对头。)

agree to differ
求同存异;各自保留不同意见(不再说服对方)
all told
合计;总之 = in all
all wet
搞错了

an easy digging
轻而易举的事
A: Do you think we can nurse our business back to life? 你说我们能让生意
起死回生吗?
B: It’s not an easy digging. We’ll have to
rack our brain and think of some effective measures. 这可不是件容易事。我们得绞尽脑汁想出一些行之有效的办
法。
A: I seem to be
at the end of my wits. I have got lost and don’t know where
I’m going.
我可是黔驴技穷了。我有点茫然,不知道该干什么才好。
B:
Never say die. The darkest hour is the nearest dawn.别这么说,现在只
是黎明前的黑暗。

as easy as one’s eye/anything/falling off a log/winkling
很容易
as sure as eggs is eggs
毫无疑问,千真万确

ask for it
自找麻烦,自找苦吃
A: Do you know what happened? 你猜怎么着?
B:
Not an inkling. What’s happened? 猜不着,怎么了?
A: My girlfriend
gave her boss a good piece of her mind. 我女朋友狠狠教训
了她老板一顿。
B: He asked for it, I suppose.
我猜他是自找的。
A: Yeah. She is really something.
可不是么,她真了不起。

ask no odds
不要求特殊照顾
at a loose end
无所事事,无所适从
at one’s wits end
智穷计尽

at sixes and sevens
乱七八糟;意见不一
A: You have loused up the whole business; it’s at sixes and sevens. 整个
买卖让你弄得乱七八糟。
B:
The dice is cast. It’s incurable. 一切都成了定局,没救了。
A: I feel so terrible.
糟透了。
B: Me too.
We just went to a lot of trouble for nothing. 我也这么想,一切
都白忙了。

back to square one
退回起点;从头再来

back to the drawing board
从头开始,失败后另起炉灶
A: How is Jim recently? 吉姆近况如何?
B: Very well. Since he was back to the drawing board, he’s been very successful.
非常好。自从他失败以后另起炉灶,就一直很成功。
A: I know he will
get back on his feet sooner or later. 我知道他迟早会东
山再起的。

ballpark figure
近似数,大致正确的估计
bang for the buck
货真价实
be brassed off doing
厌烦干…,对满腹牢骚

be catty
爱搬弄是非的;爱诽谤人的
A: I thought you would cooperate. 我原以为你会跟我合作呢。
B: Well, I’m too busy to be catty and
poke my nose into things that do not
matter much to me.
我可不愿意搬弄是非去管那些跟我没关系的闲事。
A: How do you know that he won’t do something against yourself?
你怎么知
道他不会做出什么对你不利的事呢?
B: You do seem to
have a glib tongue. 你真能胡搅蛮缠。

be down in the dumps
垂头丧气,神情沮丧
A: You’re down in the dumps. What’s happened? 你看上去沮丧不堪。出什么事了?
B: I had a quarrel with our boss’s secretary. She’s been
on her high horse
these days.
我和老板的秘书吵了一架。这几天她总是盛气凌人。
A: Maybe she was only
taking it out on you. Secretaries have a lot of pressure,too. 也许她仅仅是向你发泄。秘书的压力也很大。
B: But she
jumped down my throat for no reason at all. I could not put up
with her
. 但她无理由地斥责我,我无法容忍。

be in full swing
正在全力进行,处于活跃阶段
be in high gear
全力进行
be itching for a chance to do
很想找个机会试一试
be of one mind
意见一致,看法相同

be of two minds
拿不定主意
A: Are you ready to take the plunge and pound the pavements for new one?
是否准备大胆采取措施,排除障碍,重新再来?
B: I’m still of two minds. But I do seem to like to quit my present job.
我依然犹疑不决。我确实想放弃现在的工作。

be on a gravy train
走运,有赚钱的机会
A: John seems to be on the gravy train these days. 约翰最近看起来很走运。
B: Yeah. He got a chance of going abroad to arrange an exhibition.
是啊。他得到了一个出国去办展览的机会。
A: I don’t know why
the sun is not shining on me. 我不明白为什么我的运气总是不佳。
B: Don’t worry. You’ll
be in the chips sooner or later. 别着急,总有一天你也会很富裕的。

be on cloud nine
高兴得飘飘然
A: You seem to be on cloud nine these days. How is your restaurant business?
你近来有些高兴得飘飘然。餐馆的生意怎么样?
B: How is my business? It’s none of your business!
我的生意怎么样?这不关你的事。
A: It’s rude of you to talk to me like this.
你这样跟我说话太粗鲁了。
B: I was only teasing you. You see, we have our clients
eating out of our
hands
now. Both Mark and I are feeling on the top of the world. 我只是在逗你玩儿。你看,我们现在已经有了许多回头客了。马克和我都感到很高兴。

be on pins and needles
坐立不安
A: It seems you’re on pins and needles today. Anything troubling you? 你今天似乎坐立不安。有什么事吗?
B: Yeah. I don’t know why bad things keep happening to me. You see, my car
was stolen and the warehouse had been broken into. I can’t
put my finger on the causes of this damned thing. 是的。我不知道坏事为什么总是找上我。你看,我的汽车被偷了,货仓也被盗了。我弄不明白怎么会发生这些倒霉事。
A: There must be someone who had planned that. He threatened to
show you the
color
when you refused to give him a promotion. 也许这是有人精心策划的。因为你没有提升他,他要给你点颜色看看。

be over the hump
已度过难关
be saddled with
把任务或责任强加在某人身上
posted @ 2008-03-16 20:46 exeggcute 阅读(80) 评论(0)  编辑  收藏 所属分类: 蛋蛋说英语 网摘收藏

标题  
姓名  
EMail (只有博主才能看到)
验证码 *
内容(提交失败后,可以通过“恢复上次提交”恢复刚刚提交的内容)  
  登录    新用户注册  返回页首  恢复上次提交      
[使用Ctrl+Enter键可以直接提交]